Consider a convex polyhedron $A$. Assume we have subsets $A_1,\ldots,A_n$ of $A$ that are themselves covex polyhedra and are mutually disjoint except maybe sharing an edge, and that their union gives $A$. A simple example would be $A=[0,10]$ with $A_1=[0,3]$, $A_2=[3,6]$ and $A_3=[6,10]$ (observe $A_1$ and $A_2$ are disjoint except for a common extreme point, and so are $A_2$ and $A_3$, and their union gives $A$).

What do we call this sort of partition-like subdivision of $A$ (in addition to a "cover")?

  • $\begingroup$ It's a pure math problem and should be asked on math.stackexchange. if you just want a name I think it's additionally called decomposition $\endgroup$ Feb 5, 2023 at 15:03
  • $\begingroup$ There is a dissection tag at math.stackexchange, but the polyhedra are not always restricted to be convex. $\endgroup$
    – RobPratt
    Feb 5, 2023 at 16:47
  • $\begingroup$ I reposted on math.stackexchange (I hope without breaking any rules) $\endgroup$
    – pele
    Feb 5, 2023 at 16:49
  • $\begingroup$ @pele of course not. It's just that the other site may have more active experts interested in pure math questions. So ensuring you've posted there as well. $\endgroup$ Feb 5, 2023 at 16:57
  • $\begingroup$ Cross-posted on math.stackexchange. $\endgroup$
    – A.Omidi
    Feb 6, 2023 at 5:41

1 Answer 1


What you are describing is often referred to as a "tesselation" or "tiling". I believe they are studied a fair bit by people working on computer graphics.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.