What are the handiest optimization parsers out there? Is COIN-OR's PyPy being used actively? I am currently trying to do an optimization project in Python, but I am used to using MATLAB + YALMIP combination, so I need some advice!
Given you are a MATLAB+Yalmip user you may prefer Cvxpy. Cvxpy is particularly useful if you do nonlinear models. Mosek also includes 2 Python interfaces where the so called Fusion interface may be the most interesting for you.
Here you find a comparison of Cvxpy, Pyomo and Fusion for some large scale problems.
Handiest optimization package in python is Pyomo(in my opinion). I recommend that because of the following specifications:
- There is a google group ( in addition to se and or.se) that you can ask for help if you stacked.
- You can use all the pythonic facilities to write your model
- There are enough books, tutorials and documents about it.
- Pyomo is an active and well developed package.
- You can also use many available solvers to solve your model written in Pyomo.
- You can easily use solvers on Neos server to solve the model.