I am working on a scheduling program for a service desk. I want to decide the number of people required to come in at each shift. The data I have is:
- There are 4 overlapping shifts
- Arrival pattern at the hour level
- Each defect has a 24 hr to solved. If a defect comes in 2:00 am then I have 24 hrs from 2:00 am to solve this defect. So someone else coming in the next shift can take it over. The defects needn't be solved by the same person or within the shift he/she is working in.
I have built a simplex model where I am able to solve saying every hour how many resources are required to solve the defects within that hour. Currently my approach does not consider the following:
- Overlapping shifts are not taken into account
- 24 hour window to solve the defect is not taken into account
Can you please suggest an approach to solve this? Papers or links that solve a similar problem would also be welcome.